- Jan 2013: Congratulations to Michele Peporte on her RINCE institute best poster award.
- Nov 2012: Federico Sukno at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) Innovations Exhibition on Thursday 29th November 2012.
- Nov 2012: Congratulations to Ketheesan and Brendan on their PhD graduation.
- Sep 2012: Irish Times New Innovator: Reprodoc
- Aug 2012: JOB OPENING DCU/RCSI Post Doctoral Position (Wellcome Trust).
- May 2012: Congratulations to Dr. Derek Molly on his President's Awards for Excellence in Teaching 2012 (Academic Staff (Overall Excellence in Teaching)).
- April 2012: Congratulations to Brendan Byrne who successfully defended his PhD thesis "Generalising The Ideal Pinhole Model to Multi-Pupil Imaging For Depth Recovery"
- April 2012: Congratulations to Dr Derek Molloy on winning this year's Jennifer Burke Award for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
- March 2012: CIPA paper "Image segmentation based on the integration of colour-texture descriptors-A review" is No. 1 downloaded article in Pattern Recognition January to December 2011
- Feb 2012: Tony Marrero (PhD Student, CIPA) is currently developing a new company in augmented surgery (ExRayLab as part of the NDRC Launchpad accelerator programme.
- Feb 2012: CIPA researcher (Dr Federico Sukno) awarded Marie Curie Actions—Intra-European Fellowship (FP7-PEOPLE-2011-IEF).
- Jan 2012: Key publication with NIH research team in the University of Kansas Medical Center and Biological Imaging Center, California Institute of Technology - "Convective tissue movements play a major role in avian endocardial morphogenesis", Developmental Biology. We developed the automatic image analysis solution to track large numbers of fluorescent nuclei in 3D within a series of image stacks (novel algorithm, referred to as the CIPA tracker). These findings point to the importance of large-scale tissue movements that convect cells to the appropriate positions during cardiac organogenesis.
- Jan 2012: Congratulations to Ketheesan Thirusittampalam who successfully defended his PhD thesis "Cellular tracking and mitosis detection in dense in-vitro cellular data"
- Dec 2011: INVENT/DCU 2011 Award for Engagement with Business/ Industry, Prof. Paul Whelan and Dr. Tarik Chowdhury for its work with Reprodoc Ltd. using ultrasound imaging
- Sept 2011: Prof. Whelan visited IISc Bangalore (IISc-DCU workshop – September 19 and 20, 2011) and IITM Chennai (IITM-DCU workshop – September 22 and 23, 2011)
- June 2011: Enterprise Ireland Innovation Partnership grant awarded to CIPA for its work on ultrasound image analysis. Post Doctoral Researchers [18 months] Open Job Call
See PDF link for details
- May 2011: “A generic framework for colour texture segmentation” published in Sensor Review has been chosen as an Outstanding Paper Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2011.
- Feb 2011: Congratulations to Prof. Paul Whelan on his Presidents Research Award 2010/2011 (Engineering & Science). [Photo]
- Feb 2011: The application process for SPUR-ON 2011 (SFI UREKA) is now open.
- Jan 2011: Congratulations to Stephen O'Brien who sucessfully defended his PhD thesis "Integrating Contour-Coupling with Spatio-Temporal Models in Multi-Dimensional Cardiac Image Segmentation"
- Jan 2011: CIPA researchers Dr. John Mallon and Dr. Aubrey Dunne launch Jaliko Ltd. focusing on developing technologies to allow for the removal of optical aberrations in digital imaging systems.
- Jan 2011: Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference - IMVIP 2011 to be hosted by CIPA DCU.
- Sep 2010: Congratulations to Yu Sha and Derek Molloy for their IMVIP 2010 best paper award: Automated Image-based Cell Tracking in Dense Cell Datasets
- July 2010: CIPA releases a beta version of its MATLAB compatible Image Processing & Analysis Toolbox - VSG IPA TOOLBOX (beta)
- July 2010: CIPA part of the recently funded PRTLI V Nano-Bioanalytical Research Facility
- June 2010: Post Doctoral Research Position available Closing Date 31st July 2010.
- June 2010: ROADIS (Removal of Optical Aberrations in Digital Imaging Systems) web page launched.
- March 2010: CIPA Licenses CADCTC Technology to UK Medical Imaging Company. Also in The Irish Times - Tuesday, April 20, 2010
- June 2009: Congratulations to Ovidiu Ghita who was named "Outstanding Reviewer 2009" for his work with the "Sensor Review" journal.
- May 2009: Congratulations to Aubrey Dunne who sucessfully defended his PhD thesis "Calibration of Non-conventional Imaging Systems".
- May 2009: Dr Eilish Twomey (Temple Street Children's University Hospital) and Prof. Whelan (CIPA, DCU) have been award a grant (2009-2012) to investigate "White Matter Volume assessment in premature infants on MRI at term and 2 years age - Computer Aided Volume Analysis". This work will be carried out in conjunction with the Department of Neonatology of the National Maternity Hospital .
- April 2009: Prof. Whelan is elected a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- March 2009: Congratulation's to the Morphometrics in Medicine team on their recent Wellcome Trust award (Molecules, Genes and Cells Funding Committee).
This work will focus on the analysis of three-dimensional facial dysmorphology. The team is made up of researchers from University of Glasgow (Statistics [Lead], Dental School,
Computing Science), Dublin City University (CIPA), Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (Neuroscience), University of Limerick (Statistics) and Institute of Technology, Tralee (Mathematics).
- May 2009: Prof. Whelan is to give a keynote talk on "How active is machine vision research in Ireland?" at the 7th European Machine Vision Business Conference May 15th and May 16th 2009.
- Jan 2009: Congratulations to Sean Begley who successfully defended his MEng thesis "Content Based Image Pose Manipulation".
- Jan 2009: Congratulations to Dahai & Ovidiu who were awaded "Best Paper" during the "3rd Pacific-Rim Symposium on Image and Video Technology (PSIVT2009, Japan)"
for their paper "A Novel Visual Speech Representation and HMM Classification for Visual Speech Recognition".
- Dec 2008: Congratulations to John and Julia for winning this years overall DCU INVENT (ICT/Engineering Section) Invention Disclosure Award for their work on
"Correction of Optical Lateral Chromatic Aberration in Digital Imaging Systems (John Mallon, Julia Dietlmeier, Paul Whelan)". This is the second year in a row that a
member of CIPA has won this award.
- Nov 2008: Congratulations to Dr. Dana Ilea Ghita and Dr. Dahai Yu who graduated this week (10/11 NOVEMBER GRADUATION 2008).
- Sept 2008: Congratulations to Dana Ilea who sucessfully defended her PhD thesis "Unsupervised Segmentation of Natural Images Based on the Adaptive
Integration of Colour-Texture Descriptors".
- Sept 2008: Congratulations to Dahai Yu who sucessfully defended his PhD thesis "The application of manifold based visual speech units for visual speech recognition".
- Aug 2008: Congratulations to Dr. Derek Molloy & Dr. Robert Sadleir on their successful China Scholarship Council awards (Students: Min Qiusha, Xiong Ye).
- July 2008: Congratulations to Patricia Moore on her Google Europe Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship 2008.
Patrica was one of 20 talented young women selected from 295 students in 157 different universities across 31 European countries.
The awards took place in Google's Engineering Centre in Zurich.
- May 2008: Congratulations Ayodeji Adesina & Robert Greene on their successful IRCSET awards (Supervisor: Dr. Derek Molloy).
- May 2008: Congratulations Tony Marrero on his successful IRCSET award (Supervisor: Dr. John Mallon).
- March 2008: Dr. Tarik Chowdhury joins CIPA as the new CIPA/RINCE research officer.
- March 2008: Felica Brisc graduates with her PhD for a thesis entitled "Accelerated Volumetric Reconstruction From Uncalibrated Camera Views".
- Dec 2007: Congratulations to John Mallon on his Enterprise Ireland (Industrial Research and Commercialisation Committee (IRCC)) Technology Development grant.
- Dec 2007: Congratulations to Nicolas Sezille and Kevin Robinson who won the DCU INVENT (ICT/Engineering Section) Invention Disclosure Award 2007 for their CAD-CTC patent.
- Sep 2007: Congratulations to Vincent Luaute (supervisor Dr. Sadleir) on the successful examination of his M.Eng. thesis "A Remote Access CT Colonography
- Aug 2007: Funding success.
The Centre for Image Processing & Analysis (CIPA), in conjunction with the Biomedical Diagnostics Institute at Dublin City University has
been award funding of 7 Million euro under HEA's PRTLI IV, together they will form the DCU element of the National Biophotonics & Imaging Platform (NBIP) . The mission of the NBIP is to provide an integrated national access and training
infrastructure in research, education, technology development and industry collaboration for the State's investment in Biophotonics and Imaging.
CIPA will house the Image Processing & Analysis facility for this platform. The total funding awarded to the NBIP under this scheme was 30 million euro.
- April 2007: Congratulations to Zhenning Su on his SFI UREKA award.
- March 2007: VSG paper "A vision-based system for inspecting painted slates (O. Ghita, P.F. Whelan and T. Carew)" as published in Sensor Review has been
selected as a "Highly Commended Winner at the Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2007".
- March 2007: Congratulations to Stephen O'Brien on his IRCSET PhD Studentship award.
- Dec. 2006: VSG awarded an Enterprise Ireland (Commercialisation Plus) award to further develop the CAD-CTC project.
- Nov. 2006: Congratulations to Dr. Ovidiu Ghita and Dr. John Mallon who were each awarded an INVENT 2006 Invention Disclosure Award.
- Nov. 2006: Congratulations to Dr. Ovidiu Ghita (PI) and Dr. John Mallon on their successful Enterprise Ireland "Proof of Concept" grant.
- Nov. 2006: 3 new PhDs from the VSG. Dr. Michael Lynch, Dr. Tarik Chowdhury and Dr. Eamonn Boyle at the Nov. graduation ceremony
- Oct. 2006: Another successful PhD defence (supervisor Prof. Whelan) in medical imaging (CAD-CTC).
- Sept. 2006: Congratulations to Tarik Chowdhury (supervisor Prof. Whelan) on the successful defence of his Ph.D. thesis "Automatic polyp detection using curvature analysis for standard and low-dose CT (Computed Tomography) data".
- Aug. 2006: IMVIP
2006 was held in Dublin City University (Chair Dr. Derek Molloy) 30th of August to the 1st of September 2006. The conference was
run in association with the Irish Pattern Recognition and Classification Society (IPRCS), a member organisation of the International Association
for Pattern Recognition (IAPR).
- July 2006: VSG paper ("Automatic segmentation of the left ventricle cavity and myocardium in MRI data") appeared in the TOP25 Hottest Articles
(downloaded during January, February and March, 2006 - #7) of the Computers in Biology and Medicine journal.
- July 2006: The VSG is proud to announce a new and unique Major in Image Processing and Analysis as part of the GC/GD/MEng in Electronics
Systems. The first intake on this programme will be in the 06/07 academic year.
- June 2006: Congratulations to Brendan Byrne on his IRCSET PhD Studentship award.
- June 2006: Congratulations to Dr. Derek Molloy on his successful Strand 1 award in association with IT Tallaght.
- May 2006: Congratulations to Michael Lynch on the successful defence of his Ph.D. thesis "Multidimensional Image Analysis of Cardiac Function in MRI".
- May 2006: Congratulations to Eamonn Boyle (supervisor Dr. Molloy) on the successful defence of his Ph.D. thesis "Active Modelling of Virtual Humans".
- April 2006: 2 SFI UREKA (Undergraduate Research Experience & Knowledge Award) supplemental grants awarded to the VSG
- Feb. 2006: The VSG welcomes new adjunct members from the Mater Misericordiae Hospital and the Royal
College of Surgeons in Ireland.
- Nov. 2005: Congratulations to John Mallon (supervisor Prof. Whelan) on the successful defence of his Ph.D. thesis "Modelling and Removal of Distortions in Images".
- Oct. 2005: Two VSG papers ("Fast colon centreline calculation using optimised 3D topological thinning"
and "MRI diffusion-based filtering: a note on performance characterisation") appeared in the TOP25
(most frequently downloaded) articles of the Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics journal.
In addition, the VSG paper "Projective rectification from the fundamental matrix" appeared in the TOP25
for the Image and video Computing Journal. [Q2 2005]
- Sept. 2005: Congratulations to Kevin Robinson (supervisor Prof. Whelan) on the successful defence of his Ph.D. thesis "Efficient Pre-segmentation Filtering In MRCP".
- June 2005: VSG paper featured on the recent cover of the Journal of Electronic Imaging.
- June 2005: Congratulations to Kevin Robinson on his SFI Best Student Paper Award for his paper entitled
"Analysis of the Pancreato-biliary System from MRCP" (in conjunction with Prof. Paul Whelan) at the 18th
IEEE International Symposium on Computer-Based Medical Systems.
- June 2005: Sadleir & Whelan's recent paper ("Fast Colon Centreline Calculation using Optimised 3D
Topological Thinning", Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 29(4), 2005) was headlined and reviewed in
the Virtual Colonoscopy Digital Community bulletin (Auntiminne.com). In an article by Eric Barnes entitled
"3D topological thinning improves colon centerline tracking in VC " he states that researchers from Dublin
City University in Ireland solved the problem of computational overload in a common task required of software
for 3D endoluminal views of the colon" (8/6/2005) (SFI Investigator Programme Grant)
- June 2005: SFI Secondary Teacher Assistant Researcher (STAR) Niamh Sullivan from Mercy College, Coolock,
joins the Vision Systems Group for the summer.
- May 2005: 3 IRCSET VSG postgraduate research scholars successful in the 2005 first round of offers.
Aubrey Dunne who will work with Prof. Whelan, Patrica Moore who will work with Dr. Molloy and David Barry
in conjunction with IT Tallaght and Dr. Molloy.
- May 2005: VSG awarded SFI Research Frontiers Programme grants. Dr. Ghita & Prof. Whelan awarded a
RFP05 grant to work on texture based image analysis. The VSG were also co-investigators on a second
SFI Research Frontiers Programme 2005 grant, in conjunction with NUI Maynooth.
- Sept 2004: Felicia Brisc (VSG) won the best presentation award at the 2004 Eurographics Workshop (Ireland), UCC.
- June 2004: Robert Sadlier (VSG) won the best presentation prize at the Association of Physical Scientists
in Medicine 2004 Annual Scientific Meeting. (SFI Investigator Programme Grant)
- April 2004: Release of MRS 2.1 (Sediment Profile Image Analysis software) in conjunction with the Sediment
Profile Imagery Colloquium of Experts (SPICE) in NUI, Galway
- Jan 2004: NeatVision reviewed in D Sage and M Unser, "Teaching image-processing programming in Java",
IEEE Signal Processing, 20(6), Nov 2003. (SFI Investigator Programme Grant)
- Jan 2004: Lancet Oncology (Volume 5, Number 1 , 01 January 2004) - New study supports use of virtual
colonoscopy - (N Engl J Med 2003; 349). (SFI Investigator Programme Grant)
- Novr 2002: RSNA 2002 infoRAD: VSG's public release of its medical imaging toolkit (NeatMed). Also see
Diagnostic Imaging / PACSWeb.
- Oct 2002: VSG awarded an SFI Investigator Programme Grant for its work in medical imaging.
- Sept 2002: Visit to the VSG by the US Ambassador to
Ireland, His Excellency Richard J Egan.
- Sept 2002: B.G. Batchelor and P.F. Whelan, Intelligent Vision Systems for Industry now available as an ebook.
- June 2002: VSG student is an invited speaker at the 3rd International Workshop on Multislice CT 3D Imaging
Virtual Endoscopy, Rome, Italy
- Feb 2002: Awarded an EU Fifth Framework Programme (IST: Accompanying Measures) research grant.
OSMIA - Open Source Medical Image Analysis
- Nov 2001: Getting a clearer picture of the inside - Irish Times article on research undertaken in the VSL (8-11-01)
- Oct 2001: Awarded an EE School Research Fellowship grant.
- Aug 2001: P.F. Whelan and D. Molloy (2000), Machine Vision Algorithms in
Java: Techniques and Implementation, Springer (London), 298 Pages. ISBN 1-85233-218-2. reprinted by Springer.
- July 2001: Awarded (in conjunction with the Mater Hospital) Health Research Board (HRB) Interdisciplinary
- June 2001: John Mallon wins the IBM/DCU Student Project of the Year competition for his project
entitled "Mobius, An Integrated Design Towards the Implementation of an Autonomous Mobile Robot".
- March 2001: VC project discussed in "Healthy outlook for biomedicine" - The Engineers Journal,
Journal of the Institution of Engineers of Ireland
- March 2001: VSG awarded an Albert College Senior Fellowship grant.
- Jan 2001: 'Virtual colonoscopy' new tool against cancer - Irish Times (11-1-01)
- Aug 2000: BOOK - P.F. Whelan and D. Molloy (2000), Machine Vision Algorithms in Java: Techniques
and Implementation, Springer (London), 298 Pages. ISBN 1-85233-218-2.
- 2000: Awarded (in conjunction with the Mater Hospital) an Irish Cancer Society research grant.
- 2000: Awarded an Enterprise Ireland Applied Research Grant.
- 1999: Awarded a HEA/PRTLI-1 RINCE capital equipment grant.
- 1998: Awarded a Higher Education Authority (HEA) grant.
- 1998: Awarded a Forbairt Applied Research Grant.
- 1997: Awarded a Higher Education Authority (HEA) grant.
- 1997: Awarded a University Research Committee grant.
- 1997: Awarded a DCU Special Research Activity grant
- 1996: Awarded a European Commission: Framework IV (Training and Mobility of Researchers) grant.
- 1996: Ph.D. Studentship in Vision Systems funded by Motorola BV.
- 1994: Awarded a National Rehabilitation Board seed-funding grant.
- 1992-1993: Awarded a EOLAS/British Council annual travel grant.